Have you ever sent a fundraising letter or email to a potential donor who lives out of state?
If so, odds are you’re required to be registered for charitable solicitation in that state.
It is critical for an organization to be in compliance with the law to avoid penalties or irreparable harm to the organization’s image. A review by a nonprofit attorney will ensure your current policies and solicitations are consistent with the law. Charitable Allies keeps up with the CSRs (charitable solicitation registrations) required by individual states so you don’t have to. We can be your ally in state-by-state compliance, so you can fundraise with confidence
We also keep up with other state and federal laws and regulations related to fundraising, as well as with changing donor preferences.
Fundraising compliance encompasses:
- Charitable Solicitation Registration and renewal — CSR is the registering of a nonprofit with the appropriate agency (attorney General, Secretary of State, etc.) in necessary states prior to soliciting donations
- Raffles, bingo, and other games of chance
- Script disclosure
- Gift acknowledgments
- Ethical practices
- Corporate sponsorships
- Proper use of restricted funds
- Audit papers
- Grant compliance and training
- Provide general advice for re-operational and grant making priorities
- Review grant application and report-making procedures
- Provide training sessions to our client’s members and/or grant recipients
- Written reports to client’s Board
- And much more.
We also can review your current policies and solicitations for compliance. If the worst is true – that you’ve been out of compliance – we can correct the situation with the fewest possible penalties.