Join our fast-growing organizations and help charities accomplish their missions!
About the Organizations
Charitable Allies assists nonprofits across the country to get started and operate well. We also regularly litigate on their behalf. We’re organized and operated as a “low bono” 501(c)(3) legal aid law firm for nonprofits, which basically means we’re a law firm for small businesses that happen to be nonprofits!
Allies 4 Good is the one place nonprofit executives and board members can go to for competent, nonprofit-specific help with bookkeeping, fundraising, marketing, and consulting at an affordable rate, so they can focus on their mission and do more good.
We have a huge work ethic that not only invests strongly in our people and their professional growth, but that also still takes time out to have fun on occasion. Slackers need not apply! 😉
About the Position
Working both from our office in Indianapolis, IN and remotely, the Staff Accountant & Bookkeeping Client Manager ensures accurate completion of all accounting functions for both Charitable Allies and Allies 4 Good, as well as overseeing our client bookkeeping services and fiscal sponsorship program. Come help us save the turtles!
Responsibilities of the Position
- Ensures accurate completion of all accounting functions for Charitable Allies and Allies 4 Good.
- Processes payroll and expense reimbursements through Paycom, and tracks 401b and QSE-HRA benefits.
- Spearheads AP/AR.
- Performs collections activities for the organization.
- Responds to all client financial inquiries.
- Assists Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer with annual budgeting for the organizations.
- Manages client trust accounts.
- Deposits all checks and performs banking transactions with the support of the Chief Operating Officer (2-touch system).
- Manages company credit card payments and monthly reconciliation.
- Completes or ensures completion of all annual business filings and renewals, including Business Entity Reports, attorney license renewals, membership renewals, insurance renewals, Form 990, Form NP-20A, etc.
- Manages vendor performance against contractual agreements.
Bookkeeping Client Management – bookkeeping service offered to clients
- Assists in developing systems and policies as we build and expand the bookkeeping services.
- Onboards new clients.
- Sets up files (including Chart of Accounts when applicable).
- Performs file clean-ups including Balance Sheet clean-up/reconciliations and P&L Re-classifications.
- Performs bookkeeping for clients including; accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, 1099 NEC reporting, budget recommendations, etc.
- Generates financial reports with customization.
- Assist with payroll processing for our clients.
- Assist in preparation of federal 990 and state information returns.
- Creates and maintains financial policies.
- Stays current on best practices and continually educates internal team members and clients on trends and regulatory or compliance changes.
Fiscal Sponsorship Program Management – service offered to clients
- Ensures accurate tracking and management of all donations for fiscal sponsees in Salesforce.
- Creates templates with bank account information for future Payments and Collections for fiscal sponsees in KeyNavigator and requests Chief Operating Officer approval of same.
- Distribute donation funds to fiscal sponsees, as well as collect any related fees, and requests Chief Operating Officer approval of same.
- Works with Staff Attorney to ensure completion of fiscal sponsee reporting obligations and oversees the tracking of submitted reports.
- Drafts and sends Donation Report and Invoices to fiscal sponsees any time they receive donation funds.
- Completes any required or requested grant reporting to donors.
- 7 years of experience in accounting
- Nonprofit accounting experience preferred but not required
- Familiarity with various operating systems
- Proficiency with Quickbooks Online
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with Salesforce or other CRMs
- Proficiency with Paycom or like payroll systems
- The ability to truly master our several web-based applications (i.e. Dropbox, VoIPStudio, KeyNavigator, etc.) is essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high-level attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and a self-started
- High degree of flexibility
- Positive and “can do” attitude
- Expert organization and time management skills
- BA/BS Degree (BS in Accounting preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
Pay is excellent for the sector! This full-time position pays $60,000 and up depending on the candidates experience and education. Leadership and advancement opportunities within these fast-growing organizations. Additional benefits include options such as our 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan with a 5% employer match, a QSE-HRA ($5,300/individual or $10,700/family), paid vacation and sick time, paid opportunities for professional development and continuing education, and other personal and professional benefits.
- Charitable Allies/Allies 4 Good is located next to the Pyramids on the northwest side of Indianapolis, at 9100 Purdue Road, Suite 115, Indianapolis, IN 46268. Hybrid work option available with some work-from-home days depending on performance. However, during training more office time will be required. Office hours are 8:30 – 5:00 M-F.
Supervisor(s): Shawna Powell, Chief Operating Officer
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of references to Shawna Powell at email@example.com.