Charitable Allies is a nonprofit aimed at providing affordable, excellent legal services and education to nonprofit organizations around the country. Whether a new animal shelter is looking to get their 501(c)(3) status or a youth sports club is looking to set safety standards, we are here to help. Our team is made up of friendly professionals who want to work hard to make the world a better place, one nonprofit at a time. We are continually improving and innovating to meet the needs of the growing nonprofit community.
About the Position
We’re seeking a moderately experienced (3-6 years) Attorney, based in Indianapolis, IN. The ideal candidate for the Associate General Counsel position is a detailed professional who wants to use their skills to build relationships with clients large and small, and provide excellent legal counsel for nonprofit organizations. After a period of training, you’ll be responsible for research, filings, preparing for cases, and drafting documents. We’re looking for someone who deeply values producing quality work within a collaborative team. This opportunity is an in-person position with the opportunity to have a hybrid schedule (up to two days out of office per week).
- Prepare documents such as trademark applications, motions, memoranda, briefs, orders, demand letter, and other legal documents.
- Represent clients in court, interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for nonprofit organizations.
- Collaborate with general counsel to provide strategic litigation support
- Prepare basic form documents such as pro hac vice motions, court appearances and court admissions paperwork.
- Act in a confidential capacity.
- Prepare and respond to written discovery; conduct and defend depositions.
- Confer with colleagues to establish and verify basis for legal proceedings.
- Prepare correspondence to be sent to clients, courts and other attorneys. File basic court documents either by traditional “paper” methods or via CM/ECF.
- Researches rules, investigates facts, and prepares documents to assist general counsel with matters and draft memorandum regarding findings.
- Perform legal research in Westlaw.
- Monitor status of cases via PACER.
- Check citations in briefs and other legal documents to determine the accuracy of quoted material.
- Enters billing and time entry data into the system in a timely manner
- Ensures efficient and timely communication with colleagues and team members.Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously. Ensures efficient and timely communication with colleagues and team members.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- 3-8 years of experience as an attorney
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school
- License to practice law in highest court of any U.S. state
- Strategic litigation experience (i.e., using litigation as a tool for social/legal change) is a huge plus.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously
- Strong interest in fighting for the pro-life cause
- Effective organization and time management skills
- Experience with compliance-related matters in highly regulated space is a plus
- Strong drafting and communication skills
- Strong interest in defending freedoms of nonprofit organizations
- Desire to excel in daily job duties
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics, as well as respect for others
- Proficient in all Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), WestLaw, and Dropbox
- Proficiency with Google G Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, etc)
- Experience using Salesforce is a plus, but not required
- Positive and “can do” attitude
Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school
Compensation and Benefits
This full-time position pays between $84,000 and $130,000 annually, including performance based bonuses, dependent on experience. Additional benefits include options such as our 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan with a 5% employer match, health insurance, paid time off, paid opportunities for professional development and continuing education, and other personal and professional benefits.
Charitable Allies is located next to the Pyramids on the northwest side of Indianapolis, at 9100 Purdue Road, Suite 115, Indianapolis, IN 46268. The first 90 days will be fully in-person. After the initial training period, hybrid work is possible for up to 2 days per week, depending on performance and the input of the direct supervisor.
Katie Buckner, Lead Attorney, General Counsel Team
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and a list of references to Katie Bucker, Lead Attorney of the General Counsel team via email at email@example.com. Writing sample is optional, but highly preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $84,000.00 – $130,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off