Professionally, Zac Kester is Mission Focused and also Credentialed and Experienced. Zac Kester functions as a general counsel and advisor, assisting nonprofit organizations with a variety of matters:
- Mergers, Reorganizations & Closures
- Nonprofit Formation
- Nonprofit Legal Representation
- Board Governance & Operations
- Employment Law & HR
- Fundraising Compliance
- Community & Economic Development
- Grant Agreements, Restrictions and Strategies
Zac and his wife Amanda, and their four children are passionate about serving those in their communities and people globally. The Kesters strongly support adopting and fostering children, having adopted two beautiful girls from Ethiopia who are wonderful older sisters to the Kesters’ biological sons. Along with others from their local church, the Kesters help with repairs and spring cleaning at the Dayspring Center, a homeless shelter for women and children, and serve breakfast to men and women who need a helping hand at Horizon House. Zac volunteers on his children’s school board, and he and Amanda are active at their church. The Kesters also support Compassion International and World Vision in the fight against child poverty, International Justice Mission to end human trafficking and slavery, the Invisible Girl Project, protecting little girls from gendercide, and Mission to the World missionaries Lee and Dr. Jen Bigelow and their three girls on a long-term medical mission in rural Belize.
Credentialed and Experienced
Zac has an LL.M. (Masters of Law) and a CFRM (Certificate in Fundraising Management) concentrating on the special needs of tax-exempt organizations and has practiced law primarily for charities, focusing on organizational and compliance services.
Zac is licensed to practice law in Indiana, Texas, Arizona, and the District of Columbia and can practice in other jurisdictions as permitted by that state’s rules on the multi-jurisdictional practice of law.
- CFRM; Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
- LL.M., Taxation and Tax Exempt Organizations, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Juris Doctor, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts – Political Theory & Constitutional Democracy and Social Relations; Michigan State University, James Madison College
Professional Affiliations & Community Involvement:
Zac publishes regularly regarding the unique needs of nonprofits and is a frequent contributor to Indianapolis Not-for-Profit News by Charitable Advisors.
- Awards: 2018 Leadership in Law Award from the Indiana Lawyer; Practitioner-in-Residence, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Committee member: Indiana Governor’s Adoption Study Committee
- Volunteer: United Way of Central Indiana, Indiana Philanthropy Alliance, Alliance Defending Freedom
- Board: Ascent 121, Indiana Philanthropy Alliance
- Member: Indiana Bar, Connection Pointe Christian Church
- Fellow: Clapham Group, Hoosier Congressional Policy Leadership Series
- Presenter: Kendrick Foundation, United Way of Central Indiana, Charitable Advisors, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, National Business Institute, Kosciusko County Community Foundation, Indiana Philanthropy Alliance, Nonprofit Legal Clinic and Indiana University Maurer School of Law – Bloomington.