Every nonprofit organization needs legal counsel at some point – and history shows that litigation can be an effective tool to bring about social change.
Selecting the right attorney for your nonprofit organization is key. We recommend finding legal counsel for your nonprofit before a crisis arises so you can protect your nonprofit organization. Our knowledgeable and compassionate lawyers aim to keep your cause at the forefront of everything we do.
From starting a nonprofit to managing the day-to-day charity operations, to navigating any crisis that may arise, having an ally who knows how to keep your nonprofit in compliance with the law is invaluable to keeping your nonprofit running smoothly. And if your nonprofit is involved in a dispute or lawsuit, Charitable Allies provides legal representation for nonprofit organizations in a variety of situations, whether there is a dispute with vendors or donors, between tenants and landlords, over gifts made via wills and trusts, and many others. Any of these situations can escalate into litigation, so it’s best to be prepared by seeking a lawyer who understands the legal needs of your charity.
- Advise clients on membership requirements
- Review documentation and applicable state and federal law regarding membership
- Advise client on the proper procedures/process to resolve conflict and identify a solution
- Draft Membership Qualification Policy
- Provide Member Resolutions and Member Notices
- Assist with required Member votes
- Review and advise clients on updates or changes to bylaws and articles
- Advise on proper procedure to resolve governance conflict, identify a solution, and carry out a solution, including litigation if necessary
- Revise operating agreements, conflict of interest policy, etc.
- Advise regarding membership and related questions
- Resolve board governance disputes
- Advise on board structure and best practices for nonprofit board of directors
- Merge operations with another nonprofit
- Separate nonprofit from parent organization
- Close down a nonprofit
- Restructure operations to gain efficiency or effectiveness
- Draft agreements for business partnerships or joint ventures
- Bring action on behalf of client to right wrongs against it by another party
- Defend client against claims or threatened claims brought against it
- Work with insurers in order to collect on policies
- Represent donors to ensure donation intent and integrity is protected
Attorney General & Regulatory Investigations
- Review and advise client on contents of regulatory investigations, including IRS audits, complaints filed with an Attorney General, and investigations from other governmental agencies
- Draft formal responses to Attorney General or regulator
- Compiling and submitting requested records for regulatory investigations
- Advise client on how to avoid the situation that led to the investigation if possible
General Legal Assistance
- 501(c)3 compliance issues
- Unrelated business income tax (UBIT) issues
- Assist in creating policies, including donation acceptance policies, volunteer policies, etc.
- Adopting gift acceptance policies
- Bylaw amendments