NONPROFIT LEGAL SERVICES
Every nonprofit organization needs a nonprofit attorney at some point, whether you need help with a nonprofit merger, 501(c)(3) reinstatement, creating contracts or resolving a dispute.
Selecting the right attorney for your nonprofit organization is key. Our knowledgeable and compassionate lawyers aim to keep your cause at the forefront of everything we do. We know nonprofit law inside and out, so you can focus on what truly matters: your mission.
Contact us today for a 30 minute initial consultation via Zoom to learn how a Charitable Allies attorney can help your nonprofit thrive.
From starting a nonprofit to managing the day-to-day charity operations, having an ally who knows how to keep your nonprofit in compliance with the law is invaluable to keeping your nonprofit running smoothly. And if your nonprofit is involved in a dispute or lawsuit, Charitable Allies provides legal representation for nonprofit organizations in a variety of situations, whether there is a dispute with vendors or donors, between tenants and landlords, over gifts made via wills and trusts, and many others. Any of these situations can escalate into litigation, so it’s best to be prepared by seeking a lawyer who understands the legal needs of your charity. We can assist with the following legal services for nonprofit organizations:
Membership & Governance Disputes
- Advise on board structure and best practices for nonprofit board of directors
- Review and advise clients on updates or changes to bylaws and articles
- Advise client on the proper procedures/process to resolve conflict and identify a solution
- Draft Membership Qualification Policy
- Provide Member Resolutions and Member Notices
- Provide legal representation in membership and governance disputes when necessary
- Revise operating agreements, conflict of interest policy, etc.
- Advise regarding membership and related questions
Nonprofit Trademarks & Copyrights
- Register for trademarks for nonprofit name, logo, etc. with the US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Provide a legal opinion on the likelihood of the USPTO granting a trademark
- Register a copyright for nonprofit curriculum, books, or other written works
- Provide legal advice regarding nonprofit trademarks and/or copyrights
Merger, Reinstatement, or Closure
- Merge operations with another nonprofit
- Reinstate 501(c)(3) status through postmark date reinstatement or retroactive reinstatement filing with the IRS
- Separate nonprofit from parent organization
- Draft fiscal sponsorship agreements
- Close down a nonprofit
- Restructure operations to gain efficiency or effectiveness
- Draft agreements for business partnerships or joint ventures
- Bring action on behalf of nonprofit client to right wrongs against it by another party
- Defend nonprofit client against claims or threatened claims brought against it
- Work with insurers in order to collect on policies
- Represent donors to ensure donation intent and integrity is protected
- Draft cease and desist letters or opinion letters for nonprofits
Attorney General & Regulatory Investigations
- Review and advise client on contents of regulatory investigations, including IRS audits, complaints filed with an Attorney General, and investigations from other governmental agencies
- Draft formal responses to Attorney General or regulator
- Compiling and submitting requested records for regulatory investigations
- Advise client on how to avoid the situation that led to the investigation if possible
General Legal Assistance
- Advise on 501(c)3 compliance issues
- Provide legal advice on Unrelated business income tax (UBIT) issues
- Assist in creating policies, including donation acceptance policies, volunteer policies, etc.
- Create contracts or draft legal opinion letters for nonprofit organizations
- Adopt gift acceptance policies
- Update and amending bylaws, legal documents, etc.
- File articles of amendment with the appropriate state agency