Frequently asked questions about Charitable Allies
In 2013, we noticed a problem in the nonprofit community: there were plenty of legal requirements, but very few lawyers knew the complexities of nonprofit law. More than that, the lawyers who did offer services often charged much more than most nonprofits could afford. We aimed to change that reality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! We recognized a disparity in the legal aid nonprofits were able to receive—so we sought to fix that! We are a nonprofit organization ourselves, serving exclusively nonprofits with pro-bono and “low-bono” pricing!
While we offer plenty of educational resources for nonprofits on our website free of charge, we typically operate under a “low-bono” pricing system. This means that we charge below 50% of fair market value for our services. We also offer one free 30-minute consultation for new clients, which we are able to provide through the generous support of our donors!
- Help with starting a nonprofit legally
- Legal representation in cases
- Nonprofit mergers
- Nonprofit dissolutions and reorganizations
- 501(c)(3) reinstatement for organizations who have lost their IRS status
- Legal guidance about various nonprofit issues such as UBIT or board governance
- Grant agreements and restrictions
- Creating and updating legal documents (bylaws, contracts, etc)
We’re based in Indianapolis, Indiana, but we are proud to serve nonprofits all over the country and beyond! We currently work with clients in over 45 states and in Canada.